Counting the Omer Day 1; we are praying for 50 countries in Africa over the 50 days of counting the Omer. Our first day was all about the African country of Eritrea.
Our focus verse during this time is:
“Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,46 and He said to them, “So it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things.”Luke 24:45-48
This country is such a good starting point because it borders the Red Sea, is known to be one of the first countries for the Gospel to spread throughout the rest of Africa, and because believers are being tortured by their government for their faith in the current political climate.
- Pray for Eritrea and its president, Isaias Afwerki.
- Pray for those spreading the gospel there and those imprisoned for their faith (listen to the podcast at the bottom of this post for specific names!)
- Pray for their country’s leadership that is carrying out the orders for President Afwerki. Pray for their eyes to be open and hearts to be softened!
- Pray for unbelievers in the country.
- Pray for the widows, orphans, and suffering in the country.
- Pray for those getting put in prison for their faith and persecuted.
- Pray for the pastors and leaders that are being imprisoned.
- If you feel called, write a letter to someone imprisoned for their faith.
- Watch a movie, documentary, or video to learn more about the country as a whole. I have embedded a few below.
Based on the podcast at the bottom of this post, a great verse to focus on today is Luke 23:34 “But Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves.” She reminds us that as the body of Messiah, if one part suffers, we all suffer. So please pray in a way that recognizes their hurt and suffering as a part of the worldwide church and body of believers.
We are answering the following questions about every country we are learning about and praying for; however, because of the current political climate towards believers in Eritrea, we are also defining smuggle, persecution, and torture.
- What percent of the country professes to know our Messiah?
- What does a typical congregation or gathering of believers look like?
- How is the gospel been received their in the past? With hostility or graciousness?
- Is there anyone we can find to try to help or pray for in a meaningful way from that country?
- Define the political boundaries of the country.
- Look at the design of their flag.
- What is a traditional food?
- What are common bugs and animals in the area and general geography?
follow along + join in
Subscribe to our newsletter and get updates about faith,
family ideas, and farming!